The Paraguana Peninsula, located in the north of Falc√≥n State, is one of the most remote regions of the country and the northernmost, just 27 km from the island of Aruba, and a little farther east are the islands of Bonaire and Curacao. It is connected to the mainland by an isthmus of dunes which was declared a national park in 1974, with the name of"Medanos de Coro" and spreads over an area of ‚Äč‚Äčapproximately 92,000 hectares. The peninsula occupies an area of ‚Äč‚Äčapproximately 2500 km2 and its Cape ‚ÄúSan Roman‚ÄĚ, the northernmost point of Venezuela, was discovered by Spanish explorer Alonso de Ojeda in the year of 1499.
The name Paraguan√° in the caquet√≠o language (indigenous ethnic group inhabiting the area) means "garden between the sea." It is an excellent opportunity to enter a desert-like ecosystem, and appreciate a wide variety of vegetation typical of these environments. Visit Montecano Biological Reserve, uncrowded place where we will observe endemic wildlife while hiking on a very well preserved nature trail.
Besides nature, Paraguan√° peninsula is rich in its historical and cultural heritage, in its villages you will find important examples of religious colonial architecture dating back to the early colonization era.
In Araguato we offer you a one-day visit to see the most emblematic places of this beautiful and unusual region of the country. Below is a list of places of interest:
The Paraguan√° Pen√≠nsula tour will take you to:
- Sanctuary chapel of Las Animas de Guasare
- Visit the historical village of Santa Ana and its church, declared a national historical monument
- One and a half hour hike in the Montecano biological reserve where we will observe local flora and fauna.
- Traditional lunch at a local restaurant in Pueblo Nuevo de Paraguan√°.
- Visit to the ruins of¬† ‚ÄúHacienda de San Francisco‚ÄĚ, last known residence of former president of Venezuela: Mariscal Juan Cris√≥stomo Falc√≥n.
- We will see the ‚ÄúCabo de San Rom√°n‚ÄĚ The northmost point of Venezuela and take¬† a bath at the remote beach of Puerto escondido.
- Observation of Flamingos at Boca del Ca√Īo Lagoon.
- Stop at the amazing pink-purple colored salt lake of ‚ÄúLas Cumaraguas‚ÄĚ
- Brief stop at the seaside village of Ad√≠cora
- Sunset at the sand dunes of Medanos de Coro.
The tour to Paraguan√° includes:
- All specified visits and activities.
- Lunch at tipycal restaurant.
In Paraguan√° you‚Äôll need:
- Bottle of water
- Sportswear and Light clothes.
- Walking shoes and sandals
- Sun protection
- Raincoat during the rainy season
- Insect repellent
- Original passport or ID
If the group agrees, it's possible to add one hour of sandboarding to this tour with and additional fee.
This itinerary may change depending on weather conditions at the time and the influx of visitors. The Paraguan√° Peninsula can visited troughout the year regardless of the climatic season.
A visit to the Paraguan√° Peninsula can be combined with: Sandboarding (+ ¬Ĺ day)¬†a trip to¬†the¬†Sierra de San Luis (+1 day), ¬†or a trip to Morrocoy National Park (+2 days), we can also provide connections to Merida and Barinas to visit¬†Los Llanos (+4 days),¬†Los Nevados (+2 days)¬†Catatumbo (+2 days)¬†or to go¬†Rafting in Barinas (+2 days)